Click for Index
A look at the past
- Ampney Crucis gets its name from the
river (Ampney Brook), a tributary of the Thames, and the church (Church of
the Holy Cross). The Old English Amma’s Stream is probably derived
from the Latin Amnis – a stream. By 1086 the village was known by
its Latin name of Omenie; by 1100 – Amenel; by 1215 - Ameney;
and in 1287 Ameney Sancte Crucis. The modern name of Ampney
Crucis seems to have been in use since 1535, however, one of our
residents has a map of the area which has been authenticated as being
produced circa 1632 which still shows the village as Holiroodeamney.
- We know the Romans were at Ampney Crucis – there is
evidence of a settlement greater than 4 hectares in the village. In the
1780’s some workmen who were digging up stone by the side of the London
Road discovered an earthenware urn. It contained burnt bones, ashes and
some Roman coins of the lower empire. The urn is now in the Ashmolean Museum
- At the time of The Doomsday Book, Ampney Crucis was
situated in the Garsdon Hundred. Holders of the land include
Thurstan, son of Rolf; Tovi; Humphrey the Chamberlain; Alfwy; and
- Ampney Crucis Church of the Holy Rood has the rare
dedication of the Holy Cross and is referred to in the Doomsday Book
(1086) as the Church of Omenie Holy Rood (rood being the Saxon for
- Edward Daubeny ,
who lived in Ampney Crucis from 1829 was the brother of a famous
naturalist, Professor Charles Daubeny FRS, FGS, FLS. Before coming to
Ampney Crucis, Edward was a midshipman on H.M.S. Bellona and was wounded
in the Battle of Copenhagen in 1801. Roger F Vaughan has written an
article on Charles Daubeny.
- In 1844, Edward’s daughter, Jane Daubeny, married
an equally famous British Naturalist, Leonard
Jenyns, about whom Roger Vaughan has also written .
- 9591 Private Francis Charles Day
No 6 Platoon B Company 28th regiment, of Ampney Crucis,
enlisted in the 1st Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment (28th) on the 3rd
February 1912, aged 18 years. Here is his personal account with The
British Expeditionary Force in 1914, presented by the Glorious Glosters
- Here is the touching story of the Browness
family from Ottawa in Canada. They have traced their family back
to Mary Brawnus, who arrived in Ampney Crucis from Oddington in 1784.
Their web pages give a fascinating account of their story and are well
worth a read .
Gordon Beavington has painstakingly transcribed the Census for Ampney Crucis for
the years: 1851, 1861, and 1871, and also the 1851 Census
for Cirencester Workhouse which includes some Ampney Crucis residents.
- Ampney Crucis War Memorial - The
memorial is sited at the foot of the village, near to a bridge and within
site of the Crown of Crucis hotel.
Mid-19th century, Ampney Park was
occupied by the Blackwell family. Eardley Blackwell, on a trip to
Norway, fell in love with a girl out there, married and settled down in
Norway. Ivar Teigum, a Norwegian historian, has been researching the
background to Eardley Blackwell's life and has published his research on the
following web site. Incidentally, Ivar would
like to hear from anyone with an interest in this story – please use the
email link below to make contact with him, or visit his web site.
- Ivar has also compiled a very interesting
history of the village which you can read here.
Any more historic items or links ? Why not e-mail us ?